Friday, October 7, 2011

Author Interview: J.D. Thompson

Today, I'm excited to host my first ever interview with J.D. Thompson, author of Silver and Stone. J.D. has kindly offered to answer a few questions for me, of which I thought to share with my readers. I was more than happy to review her first book, and even ecstatic when she mentioned the possibility of an interview. I hope you find her answers enlightening and her advice to aspiring writers helpful. ;-) 

Ty: Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

J.D: I'm a twenty-something year old writer from New-Brunswick, Canada. Living the lifestyle that I do I've gradually become a compulsive multitasker. Quite frankly, it's become an art. With only twenty-four hours in a day and three jobs, it's necessary to make every moment count. In my limited free time, I enjoy reading as well as spending time with family and friends.

Ty: What do you do when you are not writing?

J.D: Mostly work! I have a full-time job at the local hospital as an Electroneurophysiology Technologist as well as own a photography business. Needless to say both occupations take a lot of my time. I do most of my writing at night for this very reason.

Ty: Do you prefer writing with a pen and paper, or on a computer?

J.D: I use a pen and paper when I'm jotting down ideas, or mapping a storyline. The writing however is done on computer.

Ty: When did you first start writing?

J.D: For as long as I can remember, I've enjoyed writing. When I was little I would draw storybooks and read them to my sisters at night. My favorite classes in school were always english since we had the chance to express ourselves through writing. However, even after several creative writing classes in university, I had yet to write anything longer than an essay. The idea of Silver and Stone came to me while on maternity leave with my daughter. Within six months, I had completed it.

Ty: How did you choose the genre you write in?

J.D: YA is the genre I relate to the most. It's also what fills the bulk of my bookshelf, so I suppose it's only natural that I would gravitate in that direction. I can't imagine writing anything else at the moment.

Ty: Do you ever experience writer’s block?

J.D: I think every author experiences writer's block at one point or another. My best advice is to keep writing. Every day, even if it's only a sentence, write something. In my opinion writing is like a muscle. You have to work at it regularly. It's a method that's worked for me in the past.

Ty: Is there any particular author or book that influenced you in any way either growing up or as an adult?

J.D: There are many authors along the way that have influenced my style of writing. I love James Patterson. The pace of his novels is fantastic. He knows how to keep readers at the edge of their seats with every word written. I know it's cliche, but J.K. Rowling is also a great inspiration to me. She is so talented, and her imagination is beyond compare. I would be happy to have even a fraction of her creativity.

Ty: Can you tell us about your upcoming book?

J.D: Blood and Champagne is the second book of the Bloodlines series, scheduled for release in early 2012. It picks up where Silver and Stone left off and is a rollercoaster ride to say the least. Stuck between the life she has and the life she should lead, Alexis will be faced with decisions that will put her most important relationships on the line. Without giving too much away, not everyone makes it out alive in Blood and Champagne. Fans of the series will not be disappointed.

Ty: Is anything in your book based on real life experiences or purely all imagination?

J.D: The setting in which Silver and Stone takes place is loosely based on my hometown. Holler Creek bares many similarities to life back home, from the mountains surrounding it to the general small town mentality. Weatherford Preparatory School is based on Bishops University, located in Lennoxville, Quebec. It's campus is beautiful and definitely has the historic feel I was going for. Other than that, Silver and Stone is purely fictional.

Ty: What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write and why?

J.D: For obvious reasons to anyone who has read the novel, I loved writing chapter 18. Lucas is gorgeous so playing up his features was not a hard task to say the least. I think every girl dreams of a Lucas climbing through their bedroom window at one point or another.

Ty: How did you come up with the title?

J.D: When I first decided to write the Bloodlines series, I literally wrote down the entire storyline from start to finish. I had decided early on what names each book would bear. Every title ties into the events of each particular book, though they often only make sense once the reader reaches the end.

Ty: What project are you working on now?

J.D: At the moment, I'm working on completing the Bloodlines series. It's still early to say where my writing will take me after.

Ty: What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?

J.D: It takes thick skin to be part of the publishing industry. Authors face criticism on a daily basis and it's not always pretty. Though I've been fairly lucky so far, I have had a few bad reviews. The toughest criticism I've received wasn't so much criticism so much as general dislike. The reader just didn't like the book. And that's ok. Because as much as I'd like to, I can't please everyone. Thankfully, I've also had many great reviews and feedback. I've been extremely fortunate so far and I can't help but think that I have the best fans. My favorite so far has been receiving fan art. I love to see a reader's interpretation of the characters and story through photos. It's so surreal!

Ty: Coffee or Tea?

J.D: Coffee, hands down. I'm ashamed to say I drink far too much of it, and given the choice on a deserted island, I would choose it over water.

Ty: Mac or PC?

J.D: I prefer Mac, though at the moment the three computers I own are PCs. I plan to convert once they break down.

Ty: Do you have any advice to give to aspiring writers?

J.D: Be persistent. The whole process can be overwhelming and I know many writers give up before they even begin. If writing is truly your passion, don't give up. I know that sounds completely cheesy but it's the truth. Publishing takes time. And above all keep writing.

Ty: Is there anything that you would like to say to your readers and fans?

J.D: Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I can't say it enough. The support from fans has been astounding. It's still surprising to me that any one person aside from my mother has willingly read Silver and Stone, let alone hundreds. It's truly heart-warming.

Ty: What did you think of this interview?

J.D: The interview was great! Very fun questions to answer.

                                                                           ----

I would like to express my deep gratitude for J.D. Thompson for an amazing interview! I am eager to review her next book in The Bloodlines series. You can check out my review of Silver and Stone if you haven't already. Below is a synopsis of the book for those who are interested.


Welcome to high school high society hell, where last season’s slingbacks can warrant a lunch table demotion, the wrong date will knock you off the it-list and behind every pair of oversized Chanel sunglasses lies a secret people are dying to keep.

As if senior year at Weatherford Preparatory School wasn’t hard enough, sixteen year old Alexis Bardolph had to add school outcast to the curriculum.

A new found notoriety following a family scandal, her lacrosse star boy-friend dumping her for a former BFF and a string of perpetually bad hair days were among the many things going wrong in her already turbulent teenage life.

But when the haunting nightmares that have plagued her since childhood begin to take an eerily tangible form and several Holler Creek residents are reported missing, Alexis can’t help but wonder if there isn’t more to her hellish dreams than meets the eye.

The unexpected arrival of a mysterious and dangerously handsome new student ultimately leads Alexis to troubling truths that not even her wildest imagination could have conjured.

2 comments:

  1. Hands up!!! However, next time try tickling your subject into more revealing and controversial statements. John (your granfather) ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice! I have several new ideas for questions when another interview rolls around. :-)

    ReplyDelete